MySQL Database Administrator
NewPace Communications Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Canada, develops mobile communications software for the world’s largest telephone companies.
NewPace is now accepting applications for a MySQL Database Administrator position, working with the Operations team to help ensure the reliable and consistent operation of production service databases. Ideal candidates will demonstrate they:
- Are a detailed oriented person who can understand complex business requirements and detailed technical industry standards, can translate the requirements into tasks for the team, and can then schedule the work in order to meet business objectives.
- Have solid experience with MySQL databases, specifically with the MySQL Cluster Editon.
- Have extensive experience in various internet technologies, protocols, standards, and tools.
- Are a proactive self-starter willing to take ownership, advocate on behalf of the customer and think outside of the box
- Are entrepreneurial and willing to contribute to team success.
This position will be based out of our Bedford, NS location but may require international travel.
- Bachelor of Computer Science or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of experience as a MySQL database administrator, preferably using MySQL Cluster Edition
- At least 5 years of experience with UNIX operating systems (RedHat/CentOS preferred)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- A strong understanding of telecommunications protocols (e.g. SIP, RTP)
- Experience with other database systems (MongoDB, InfluxDB)
- Experience with web application servers (e.g. Apache)
- Experience with various network tools like ngrep and wireshark
- Database administration: you will be responsible for ensuring the reliable and consistent operation of a large pool of MySQL Cluster Edition installations, and will be responsible for supporting installs, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Incident response: you will be part of a 24/7 on-call rotation for products with ‘5 nines’ availability requirements where you need to triage database, operating system and/or network elements of the deployment in a high-pressure setting. You keep notes and perform forensics that lead to an RCA document and recommendations.
- You will troubleshoot escalated tickets and may be pulled in as knowledge expert on customer support calls where you will be challenged by the customers’ top technical engineers. You will bridge the gap between customer requirements and technical implementation and act as advocate on the customer’s behalf.
- You have extensive experience with performance analysis (including scaling and capacity planning), IP protocol-level troubleshooting of connectivity anomalies involving network elements maintained by other teams (load balancers, vpns, ssl, ipv6, dns, sip).
Due to our requirement to support a wide geographic area, candidates who are proficient in a language other than English are encouraged to highlight their linguistic capabilities and international experience on their resume.
Compensation & Benefits
NewPace considers competitive salaries as part of an overall compensation strategy. Salary levels are tied to your experience, role within the company and general market, and are supplemented by a generous benefits package.
Comprehensive benefits are important to attract qualified individuals to NewPace, to remain competitive within the industry, and to ensure you remain with us. We offer a competitive benefits package that makes sure all your basic medical and insurance needs are covered, as well as other perks to make your working experience as rewarding as possible.
NewPace is an equal employment opportunity employer.
We thank you for your interest in working for NewPace. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submit an application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.